Artwork proposals must include a description and artist statement, artist biography, illustration of the proposed artwork with sufficient detail to understand the subject matter and content, and a mockup of the size, scale, and placement on IMAS grounds. Artwork may be a mounted sculpture or self-standing mural, fabricated by artist(s).
Subject matter should tie into arts and culture and may reference the McAllen Cultural District or the International Museum of Art & Science. Subject may include regional landmarks, cultural entities, local culture, binational region and international art.
Artwork should not contain any profanity or subject matter unsuitable for a family audience.
Size, Scale, Portability
Artwork will be installed outdoors on museum grounds. Proposals should include a sketch or mockup of the art as it will be installed.
Artwork proposal must include artists’ plans for securing artwork and cost of fabrication of any base, mount, framework or pedestal. Proposal must indicate recommended means for installing and securing artwork. Artwork needs to withstand typical RGV weather conditions and retain its integrity (i.e. not fall apart or fade) for at least 12 months.
Artwork must be portable for future installations at alternate sites. This project is intended to promote the McAllen Cultural District at IMAS but also at other locations. Artwork must fit inside a small cargo van with maximum dimensions of 78” x 45″ x 46″ (LxHxW).
Artwork must be movable and able to be installed by two people.
Artist Fee & Payment
Grant funds are available to fund artists’ time, talent, and expenses for these projects. Proposals must not exceed $5000.
Artists must include all costs in the proposal including but not limited to artist fee, materials, fabrication, and transportation to the International Museum of Art & Science.
Artists will sign a contract with IMAS upon being selected and before the project begins. Artists will receive payment for their work as a commission. IMAS will retain ownership of the artwork at project completion.
Artists will be awarded their initial stipend in December within 14 days of award notification in the amount of 60% of proposal fee. Artists will receive remaining 40% upon completion and delivery of artwork to the IMAS.
Artists must create the work according to the timeline outlined below.
Questions may be directed to Celina Michel, Exhibitions Coordinator & Curatorial Assistant, at email@example.com